List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mmaping icons
From:       Dan Pilone <pilone () enews ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       1999-02-12 22:51:06

Previously written in blue crayon:
 > David Faure (David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr) spake thusly:
 > > Hum, on second thought, if the aim is to avoid duplication of the pixmaps
 > > in memory, CORBA is _not_ the way to go for this thing. The object
 > > requested will always be copied by the ORB... What is needed is shared
 > > memory between processes.
 >
 >   Nope, you don't need either, you just need to return an X Pixmap ID.
 > The CORBA object here is the server, not individual pixmaps. What /is/
 > needed is a way to get a QPixmap from an X resource ID ;)

	I could implement the KIconLoader interface through
CORBA, then most apps could use it with minimal change.  The problem
like you said though is the QPixmap from the X resource ID.  If
someone can give me some pointers on that one I'm willing to write
this.  -- Dan

 Dan Pilone					Special Projects Group
 pilone@enews.nrl.navy.mil		   Tactical Electronic Warfare
 PH:  202-404-7616				   Naval Research Labs
 Fax: 202-767-6767				       Washington, DC.