List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need help profiling kreversi
From:       Andreas Beckermann <b_mann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2011-07-31 7:27:04

Hello Dominik,

I don't use oprofile, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. For the KDE
build process, have you taken a look at
 http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake/Addons_for_KDE
("Buildtypes" seems relevant to you)?

However I'd like to suggest an alternative: Have you tried valgrind/callgrind
already?
 valgrind --tool=callgrind kreversi
-> this runs kreversi in callgrind. No recompilation of the application is
required.
Callgrind emulates a CPU, so it will run a *lot* slower, but the profiling
information is (for CPU profiling) usually very dependable and reproducible.
Once you close the application, a file callgrind.out.<pid> is written to the
current directory which can be opened by kcachegrind and gives you a
callgraph. You can play around with the settings there ("Relative" and
"Relative to Parent" are usually helpful, both on and off).

Note that callgrind is not suited for profiling stuff that runs on the graphic
cards (most OpenGL calls).

Greetings
Andi