List:       kde-devel
Subject:    weird issue in kalzium -- possible KDE buildsystem linking issue
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2007-08-29 17:30:15

Hi all,

in Kalzium we're reading chemical data from a global object named "etab"
defined in an external C++ library, OpenBabel. It is defined in the source
code of OpenBabel as
 	OBElementTable etab;

Since a few weeks, the data read from this object is corrupted. Most of
the data that we read is just uninitialized values. Some data however
remains valid.

Nothing has changed in Kalzium and in OpenBabel in this respect. Other
(non-KDE) programs using OpenBabel do run fine, including a simple test
program that I wrote for this occasion.

At least 3 Kalzium developers are experiencing this issue: Carsten
Niehaus, Johannes Simon and myself.

So my guess is that something has changed in the KDE buildsystem,
affecting the linkage to global objects defined in external binary C++
libraries.

Does anyone have a clue what that might be?

Thanks,
Benoit