List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Consistency/Look&Feel in renamedlg
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2003-03-30 21:23:24

On Sunday 30 March 2003 22:15, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 01:44, Fabian Wolf wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 March 2003 11:47, Brad Hards wrote:
> > > The "Source File" is a confusing concept. Source of what?
> >
> > True that, but what could be used instead?
> > "New file" ? - Naw, it could be older!
> > "File that is going to replace the existing file" ? - Kinda long, isn't
> > it? "File about to be copied" ? - Same as above, too long.

IMO if there is something hard to describe with words, then visualize it :)

[snip]

> > Might it be helpful to drop the "existing" and "source"- label and make
> > the "source" semi-transparent or some other effect to show that it's not
> > existent at the destination folder rather than being about to be copied?
>
> Perhaps the concept should be "current document, rather than source file".
> I did like the arrow too, although obviously the CPU load for the animation
> would need to be tunable for low performance machines.

When the idea of this arrow came to my mind i was indeed thinking of a
non-animated one. but this is something for our kde-artists :)
i believe even a non-animated arrow will make clear what happens to which file
in which direction.

thomas