List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: NX Project Announcement
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-03-29 18:28:42

On Saturday 29 March 2003 19:11, pinzari@medialogic.it wrote:
> > > Is this a possible usage for an SLP server?
> > Yes, but the problem is that the existing SLP servers usually still need
> > some daemon that creates the SLP registration and keeps it open. NX does
> > not have a daemon itself, but uses sshd and starts the proxy on demand.
> nxserver can keep open the connection with nxclient and interact in
> the same way as a FTP client can interact with server.

I think you misunderstood the problem. OpenSLP is a daemon that can announce
services on the network. However it does not create those service
registrations itself, but the servers that offer them must OpenSLP register
them (using a library). If, for example, CUPS wants to announce printers on
the network it registers a service for each available printer while booting.
It will then take care about those registrations, renew them before they time
out, change them when the parameters of a printer changes and delete them
when a printer is not available anymore.

> > it can not announce the SLP service.
> It's not sshd but it's nxserver that runs in background and monitors
> your session. It can announce any service to any nxclient that's
> keeping the connection open or any KDE component that's able to
> interact through the X server.

Does nxserver (or some other daemon that knows about NX) run even when no
client is connected?

bye...