List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Documentation & deprecated API
From:       gordon.machel () t-online ! de
Date:       2002-02-26 12:37:42

> after some browsing in the KDE CVS API Reference and many
> header files I found that deprecated methods, enums, etc.
> are not marked as 'deprecated' in the API reference,
> although
> they are marked with a '@deprecated' doc comment in the
> header
> files. Sometimes there is a 'This method is provided for
> compatibility only ...' comment which shows up in the API
> Reference but very often not.

I'm currently browsing through the API docs as well,
as I'm preparing them for the use with doxygen. The
reason for the observed behaviour is that sometimes
the @deprecated command is followed by a '.' or a ',',
thereby preventing the parser from recognizing the
command.

> So, is it planed to automatically mark thingies in the
> API
> Reference which have a '@deprecated' comment in the
> header
> or should just appropriate comments added to the headers?

I vote for using @deprecated. Doxygen has such a command
already built in. It requires you to give additional text
explaining why the method or class is deprecated, though.
Kdoc, on the other hand, just inserts some predefined text,
I think. Note that there is also @obsolete, which does a
similar thing.

Gordon