List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Potential problems for developers (LONG) ignore if you are happy with the status quo
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-31 17:04:15

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 02:07:50AM -0600, Scott Manson wrote:
> Hello
> I don't know if this is a problem or just a misconfiguration
> on my part.
>
> I have what I like to call my "emergency" kde installed to /usr
> (usually the last stable release) and do most of my work on the
> version usually HEAD tag in /opt/kde2 and I have been running into
> some problems.
> First recently Running a program compiled against "stable" sources
> causes a DCOP error to the affect of wasn't waiting for a reply (I realize
> that this has been addressed)

This is fixed in HEAD. (bugs happen, that's life, and that's why it's
called unstable development branch, unlike stable releases)

> I have "plenty" of memory and sometimes I let my daughter play with the
> stable version (new X session) w/o shutting down my development version
> i.e startx -- :1 ( same user but using a different KDEHOME and different
> KDELIBS which is set using .xinitrc ) which works till fairly well till I
> shut down the daughters session and try to run konqueror which in my best
> estimation of debugging causes and almost infinite kdeinit klauncher (fork
> bomb) type of error i.e trying a ps ax and I get a screenfull (> 25)
> instances of kdeinit klauncher processes that run amok.
>
> I let it go too long as I was typing my first message and it essentially took
> everything associated but maybe desktop (I still had my background border but
> nothing would work) (no kicker no icons no response but CTRL-ALT-BKSP)
> was able to get me to a console where I could killall kdeinit.
>
> I was wondering how the "power" developers cope with these kinds of problems.

I cannot reproduce this at all. Do you happen to have a 'rm .ICEAuthority'
in your startkde? If yes, remove it. (it's been removed in HEAD already,
but it's in the latest stable release) , it will most likely fix your
problem.

> <some Suggestions more like ramblings but you have been warned >
>
> Maybe my "ideas" on what Linux is all about is all messed up but if I log
> onto 2 different X sessions they shouldn't interfere with each other. Unless
> I have libXXXX.so.1 already loaded (and old version) and I start another
> process that sees that I have it already loaded and tries to use that instead
> of loading the "right" (or newer version) is the problem.
>
> I am what you could call a "lazy" programmer and absolutely hate the very
> idea of a make clean just because 1 line in 1 file was changed or the other
> pat answer delete the .kde dir (which I have spent X number of days tweeking
> to get it to my personal preferences)  and someone goes and tells me to
> delete in and lose all my "personall" settings. (This is a character flaw
> that I'm working on)
>
> Try this you have a very important or even very time consuming collection of
> bookmarks you want and yet you still want to to upgrade ; What happens to
> your bookmarks? IIRC they are saved in .kde which in a lot of recommendations
> should be deleted on each upgrade to avoid complications.

On the topic of bookmarks: It has never been suggested to remove them when
upgrading a KDE release. In fact David always took extreme care of allowing
a smooth upgrade, and this has been working perfectly for me up to now.

> May I suggest more of a "global" place to store these something like KMail's
> Mail directory and while on the subject of KMail any way of saving filters to
> the same directory. I don't even know if anyone else is ticked when they
> finally get a "working" configuration and then they upgrade a package that
> they have to essentially "start from scratch" (I usually make a backup of my
> .kdedir to "fine tune" the upgrade and f something goes wrong or a
> misconfiguration  on my part causes KDE to be unusable I have something to
> fall back on.)  *nix was also proposed for people that had the resources
> for "important" backups which in these days of large disks is very difficult
> or expensive to implement the "correct" way.
>
> Which reminds me How do I get a(n) affordable or in other words CHEAP
> solution to making backups...  what do we decide is crucial ? I'll let this
> argument slide because it can only lead a potential flamewar.
>
> The attitude of deleting ~.kde smacks of the "windows" way of fixing problems
> ... gotta problem "reboot or reinstall" Yes I also realize that we are
> dealing with "complicated" things here but why don't we have a "central
> place" (EGAD I just said something that sounded vaguely like the windows
> registry to store individual settings.)
> The format or what is crucial can be argued upon till Seti finds evidence of
> intelligent life  or some other argument decides to steal the day. But
> something needs to be done;  not something that will/could be debated till
> the "cows come home" or rethink the answer of delete $KDEHOME

Who is suggesting to remove $KDEHOME with a KDE upgrade? Where did you read
this? I can't find it.

Yes, in the early days of 2.0 it has been suggested as quick hotfix for several
problems a few times on this development mailing list. But I cannot see where
this has ever been suggested to our users, as part of the announcement text or
as part of the KDE release information pages. Especially not for stable releases
of the 2.x series.

Bye,
 Simon