List:       kde
Subject:    Re: problem with Solaris packages
From:       "Luc I. Suryo" <luc () patriots ! net>
Date:       1998-12-30 0:38:56

> > > DISPLAY=`hostname`:0.0
> > >
> > > This is extremely bad, especially if you want to run it from a remote
> > > host.
> > :-)
> > Thers is not such thing as: 'extremely bad', and certainly in this case.
> > I just took the orginal startkde script that it, so it is not a Solaris
> > only thing...
>
> Hmmm...  the startkde script on every other machine (linux) is not like
> this.
OK you are correct, the orginal script is diff. my mistake.
the package does provide you with the orginal and mine startup script

> > And I thing (speaking for my self) this IS a better way if one thing
> > about security, but I do NOT want to get into any flames/discusions on
> > how it should be done and such, if one does not like it, well how about:
> > vi startkde? :-)
>
> Well, that's what I did, but I don't think it should default to something
> that is not going to work for everyone, and is something that is:
Randy the only thing that made me bit 'mad' is the words 'extremely bad'

Gimme a break, I'v been around quite some time now, and these is a
effort to help people so they can use KDE, all in my spare time.
When I asked for tester only 2 where there to help me and as long I can
recall you was not one of them....

> a. not documented
well you want to volunteer to write the docs? we certainly can use one!

> b. not easy to find
again this is not totaly true, IF these are my packages then one
can e-mail and ask how things are being started and IF one known
how CDE login works they should know where to look and finaly
while installing the package the files installed are being shown and
IF someone has a bit of knowledge he/she can see that he/she needs
to start under /etc/dt.

But hey let forget this ok? wasting of bandwidth.... thanks

--
Kind regards,
Luc Suryo