List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE win95 theme?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-08-26 21:53:28

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Charles H. Tankersley wrote:
> Who cares if it looks like 95 (or 98, 0r NT).  those of use, the neophytes,
> who are moving to KDE is not what it looks like, but rather, what it does for
> us. Most of us have APP's which are written for M$ windows operating system,
> we know these apps very well and the apps do the job.  Why re-invent the wheel
> if you wish to "sell" you desktop operating system, the world is full of very
> useful tools, such as< use AutocadLT 97, which runs on WIN-X.  It is an
> excelent program and does it's job well, and is so widely used that all of us
> who work in design must have and use it, it is part of our infrastructure.
> All I want is a stable, reliable system which does not crash all the time and
> which I can use as a base for my productive tools.   Who cares if looks like
> OS/2 warp, WIN95/98/NT, MAC, or what.  Those are just operating systems, not
> productions.
>
> I now have SuSE 5.2 LINUX/KDE beta 3 installed on my machine, but have not
> learned to use it YET.  I do not know how to connect to the internet with it
> (yet), nor how to download and install (configure) new APPs (yet), or how to
> get to my most useful tools which are HERE, in my WIN95 operating system
> (YET).  I am NOT a programmer of any kind, I am just a user who needs his
> TOOLS to work in order to do MY job, which is designing chemical plants,
> refineries, power plants, etc, so we all can have the energy to run our
> computers....

Hey, thanks for oil and electricity! ;-)

Now, just as a comment: these things, making kde look like 95 or a
rainforest, or a NiN concert or whatever are just sideshows (I don't know
if it's the right word).

I mean, those who can't really code can do it, and those who can code can
do it to relax a bit.

I mean, networking code gets kinda boring after a couple of years :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).