List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Why these settings are deprecated?
From:       "Charles Lindsey" <chl () clerew ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2017-12-27 23:50:58

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:39:41 -0000, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 26 December 2017 at 20:06, Tomasz Gąsior <mail@tomaszgasior.kao.pl>
> wrote:
>> I would like to ask question directly to main GTK developers. Why these
>> Xsettings are deprecated?
>
> XSettings are an X11-only concept that does not translate to any other
> windowing system platform supported by GDK.

Nevertheless most Unix systems are likely to remain using X11 because too
much existing software expects it.

If there is some useful feature that only works on some operating systems
and the feature is deprecated & removed for that reason, then we shall all
be forced to use only features that work  on he lowest common denominator
of operating systems (no names, no pack drill, but some of us choose
operating systems that lie above any such lowest common denominator for
the good reason that they are better operating systems, and we do not like
being held back by enforced compliance with "bad" oftware.

> You're probably thinking of GtkSettings properties - which can always
> be set using the settings.ini file; some of the ones you're referring
> to, though, have been deprecated and the handling code removed.

If an equivalent Gtksetting exists, then that is fine.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own