List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] How to write an init.d script
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 4:34:08

On Thursday 30 January 2003 08:39 pm, Matt Neimeyer wrote:
> The box I'm running Gentoo on came with Redhat 7 (something) on it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy it?

[sneeep]
> So the question is... what's the likelihood that I can run those
> binaries on Gentoo without corrupting anything? And how would I
> rewrite the init script so that I can run it on Gentoo?

Regarding the binaries: what you are interested in is whether the
version of glibc they were linked against is available on your Gentoo
box. You can check this by running ldd on it. I suspect if they run on
RH8, they will be okay with a Gentoo system. As to "corrupting"
something, I doubt it.

One of the benefits of a UNIX-like platform is the separation of
processes. It is very hard for code malfunctioning due to
corruption/binary incompatability to damage anything but it's own
memory space; the moment it tries to do anything else, the kernel will
kill it.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>