List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA query
From:       "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <kode187 () kode187 ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 4:24:39

On Thursday 30 January 2003 01:39 pm, MIKE MacMartin wrote:
> Question about sound on Linux:
> I've installed Gentoo for a friend of mine, and some weird behaviour
> happens: He does not have anything in /dev/sound.  We attempted to
> mknod the devices so that they appear the same as on my laptop (with
> an intel8x0 module supported soundcard)... no dice.  He is now back
> to the state of nothing in /dev/sound.

ALSA creates it devices in /dev/snd, so /dev/sound is rather a
non-starter.

> alsamixer gives the error: function snd_ctl_open failed for default:
> no such device ... assuming that's the /dev/sound emptiness?

Perhaps. No such device can happen in several situations:

* An application opens a device, say, /dev/hdf9 on a non-devfs machine
with no hdf9; the kernel returns a specific error, "No such device".
* An application tries to open a device - /dev/hdf9 - on a devfs machine
with no hdf9. The device node does not exist, so the kernel returns "No
such file or directory" to the program, and the program infers the
device does not exist.
* When a module is loaded, it would normally try to initialize any
deviced it controlled. It might print something like "no such device"
if it couldn't initialize the device correctly.

To figure out which of the above is true, I'd need to see some kernel
logs.

> He is on a SiS mainboard of some form.  /proc/pci gives the line
> Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev
> 160).  A modprobe of snd-intel8x0 then doing /etc/init.d/alsasound
> restart caused an oops (did it really try to insmod it a second
> time?) ... but that was earlier today.

This is a little vague. modutils will refuse to load a module that is
already in-kernel. I find it hard to believe that a set of stable
modules like ALSA would crash for attempting something like this.

Again, kernel logs would be needed. Also, have you checked the ALSA page
to see if/by what driver the card is supported?

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187@kode187.net>