List:       freenx-knx
Subject:    Re: [FreeNX-kNX] screen resolution and colour depth
From:       Jeremy Wilkins <wjeremy () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2009-11-12 4:11:13

olaf staubus wrote:

> Booting the Igel thinclient with a live-distribution (puppy, dsl,
> slitaz...) shows the colour depth correct, so I think it is not
> limited by the thinclients hardware.

It may not be the hardware directly, but the firmware may not be offering
the mode or may not be defaulting to the right mode.   You may have to
change the mode on the thinclient if the firmware even detects its
availablility.

olaf staubus wrote:

> Ok, I will try.
> But the kde-"task"-bar at the bottom is still shown as 1024 width,
> that looks not only like a problem with the size of the menu. It looks
> like wrong screen resolution, too.

The KDE panel (taskbar) does not size to fit the width of the screen
automatically sometimes.  This is a know bug.  Once you resize it to fill
the screen and keep using the same mode it will remain.

olaf staubus wrote:

> I will try another video card setting.
> But I thought there has to be the settings for the video card in the
> server, not the card in the thinclient (!?)

Unless you are physically at the server's console, its video card and colour
depth settings are irrelevant.  In fact, freenx will work if no graphical
screen is setup on the server at all as long as the necessary programs and
freenx server are installed.   FreenNX doesn't use the server's resolution
at all.  The client defines the resolution and colour depth of the
connection.  With NX the rendering happens at the client's machine
(thinclient) unlike VNC where the server defines the resolution and the
client gets a copy of the screen.

     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ

         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/