List:       fedora-docs-list
Subject:    Re: post-FAD: next steps
From:       Jean-Baptiste <jean-baptiste () holcroft ! fr>
Date:       2016-07-01 20:59:58

Le 01/07/2016 à 15:09, Zachary Oglesby a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:mattdm@fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everyone! I heard* that the Docs FAD went really well. And now that
>     F24 is out the door, I'm curious to know what happens next. I'm be
>     excited to see the first fruits of... Docs.next, I guess!
>

>     * https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/event-report-fedora-docs-fad/

[]

> Because of the ever increasing number of issues I would like to forgo
> waiting on re-writing documentation to start using the new tools, once
> we get the other items figure out, but I need to get everyone else to
> buy in on the plan. (Well at least Pete and a few others who are the
> ones actually keeping old VMs around so that they can publish).
>
> If we do not wait for new document formats and publish what we have, and
> if Ryan Lerch could get some help with the design work so that he is not
> looking at xslt alone and crying I think we *may* be able to have
> everything ready before F25 if we push hard to do so.
>
> Zach

Hi there,

The Localization team wrote some docs related items in G11N/Fedora 24
Talking points [1], three pages to help exchanges with docs team (I'm
the current coordinator of french team who did this, especially Jaaf64).

A [translation state of Guides on Zanata] :
  * it aims to give translators the current status of documentations and
priorities (what is worth to translate according to information given by
docs team).

An howto for [Zanata + Publican] :
  * the purpose is to understand basics of Publican as it's pretty
difficult when you don't know anything about it

An howto for handling [Po and Zanata] :
  * when you produce books with publican, you often have to edit po
files to correct your book

Yes, we probably produced it too late as we didn't know the impact of
docs FAD !
Ok, we can still take advantage of this work, just by talking together.

1. Should the translation teams continue working or wait for new tools ?
1.1. Can you use the wiki page to indicate what is the actual status of
guides with something explicit like "outdated" ?
1.2 If we should not translate some guides, shouldn't you lock the
projects in Zanata so uninformed contributors don't loose time ?
1.3 Will the work done in the past be lost or reused ? (our current
translation tool, Zanata, has a great translation memory, which help
global quality)

2. We like the work you do and would be please to help you in publishing
how to contribute spreading documentation by translating it and
explaining processes

But it also requires :
2.1 To include translation process from the beginning of your new chain
of tools (/dream : and to make the process automatic like Websites)

2.2 To make the process easier to understand

To be transparent : I so much feel like harassing, I didn't even ask for
publishing of french translation of "F24 release notes", "F23
Installation Guide", and it means dozens and dozens of contributor work.

I'll be please to assist some docs meetings if you see any use of it.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/G11N/Fedora_24_Talking_points#Process_Improvements

[translation state of Guides on Zanata]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_Translation_State_of_Guides_on_Zanata