List:       zaurus-devel
Subject:    Re: [Zaurus-devel] About the zaurus camera
From:       "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns () computer ! org>
Date:       2003-07-20 10:45:23

Am Sonntag, 20.07.03 um 06:07 Uhr schrieb µØ:

> Dear all,
>
>      I am a linux beginner and now interested in finding some
> information
> about the CE-AG06 digital camera card. I know this camera can only
> take photos, but if i want to develope a video conferencing program,
> can it  support for it? e.g. how many photos can it take in a second,
> or, do there exists any webcam which could use in zaurus for
> conferencing? One more, could a pc webcam which could support frame
> rate capture with a linux driver be used in the zaurus 5600 model?
> Thanks you all~
>
> Regards,
> Roy

Roy,
I have this camera and some features and findings:

* it has up to 480x320 resolution
* when starting the qpe-camera application, you get a direct preview on
the LCD
   My optical estimate is that this is done between 5 and 10 frames per
second
   I tried to move a pen in front of the lens to make an estimation by
stroboscopic effect, but it was not reliable yet without doing more
experimentation
* The camera is not mounted to /mnt/cf (like a memory CF card) - which
would not make much sense of course...
* I could not easily find out what the device name it is (it's not
/dev/camera ...)

So,
the camera seems capable to take a photo sequence (i.e. movie) by
software (as the preview does). The button on the camera just stores
the current image to memory.
Using the camera for video-conferencing would really be nice, as it is
easily installed or exchanged with other CF accessories and it is handy
for transportation. AFAIK there is no standard USB interface and they
may be a little clumsy.
The only drawback is that I can't use it at the same time with the WLAN
CF card - so there is no wireless online-connection while using the
camera!

If Sharp will bring out a Zaurus with both, integrated camera and
integrated WLAN, your app could become a killer. Unfortunately, there
are no indications at all that they will do.

Nikolaus