List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic releases
From:       Reinhard Poetz <reinhard () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-05-24 20:06:10

Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>>Is there any possibility to provide automatic *unofficial* releases of
>>our artifacts? I'm asking because for me (and I think for others too)
>>it's an important requirement that only non-SNAPSHOT artifacts are used
>>in my POMs. That's the only way to guarantee that a POM working today
>>will still work tommorrow or in two years.
>

> I fully agree with your argument about producing reproducible artifacts.
>
> However I'm not sure what to think when you say 'unofficial release'. A
> release is a release, whether we send a note to announce@a.o or not.

The only difference to a snapshot releases is that we publish identifiable
artifacts like cocoon-forms-r412334.jar instead of cocoon-forms-SNAPSHOT.jar.
Compare it with a nightly build and producing nightly builds has been done for ages.

But basically you're right that we have to clarify the situation in general. How
shall we proceed to get an answer to the question of "unofficial" artifact
releases? Is the pmc@cocoon in the position to decide such things itself our do
we have to discuss this issue with board@apache? WDOT?

>>What I'm thinking of is using Continiuum to automatically release our
>>artifacts once every one or two weeks. Any chance to get this done or in
>>other words, does M2 support this?
>

> Until we have mastered the manual release process we shouldn't attempt
> to give this responsibility to continuum - not that it's not possible
> though (i even think it's quite easy to do so).
>
> We obviously have come to the point where we need to seriously start
> looking at the release plugin and find out how it fits into our build
> infrastructure. I could do some ground work here and document the
> process for others to follow, unless someone else volunteers ?

That would be great!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc