List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Poll] We need to align on one point (was Re: [Vision] Knowing
From:       Andreas Hochsteger <e9625392 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2005-12-08 9:18:15

Berin Loritsch schrieb:
>> So, please :-), only one language, and as cocoon (or whatever it's name
>> will be :-) ) is a J2EE framework: _Java_
>
> I hear you, and hopefully even more.
>
>> Sorry for the interference :-), regards,
>> tom
>>

> Please interfere.  Users lurking on dev are more than welcome to contribute
> their oppinions.

I'm just a user of Cocoon too for some years now, lurking on this list
for the same time and I'm eagerly following the recent discussions.

What I can contribute to this discussion from our experience is, that
FlowScript provided new ways for us to describe page flows. But
development hasn't been that easy all the time.

We had problems understanding why certain things behaved differently
(e.g. JavaScript String vs. Java String) thus ending up in wrapping many
strings with new java.lang.String(...) just in case it might not be a
Java String.

We had also problems debugging FlowScripts and so our code was full of
debugging statements which we had to keep in production to be able to
track down runtime problems. Please don't ask how huge our logfiles got :-).

So for us it was just the concept of continuations which brought us some
improvement but not the language itself. And we have just Java
developers writing FlowScript code, since it is not possible (in our
case) to write FlowScript without Java knowledge.
I don't want to say, that it is not possible at all. But I think you
have to provide a very strict layer to FlowScript (no direct access to
Java at all) to give a JavaScript developer the possibility to be
productive without being surprised.

It would have been much easier for us, if JavaFlow with all the benefits
of Java (JUnit, JavaDoc, Debugging, strong IDE support, ...) would have
been ready for production the time we began to develop our applications ...

Just my € 0.02 ...

Cheers,
Andreas