List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Poll] We need to align on one point (was Re: [Vision] Knowing When We are Done)
From:       Berin Loritsch <bloritsch () citi-us ! com>
Date:       2005-12-08 4:53:02

On Wednesday December 07, 2005 6:26 pm, Thomas Lutz wrote:
> Though I am not a dev guy, I can't resist to vote, too. IMHO a mix makes
> no sense. Too make a long story short I made struggled my way into
> cocoon with

<snip type="everything I was feeling, and I'm not alone in my view"/>

> Last comment: Though this is not the question in this poll, I would even
> kick out the pipeline xml stuff. XML was not designed to be
> "procedural", basically it's a markup language, which focuses on data
> exchange.

In my vision we can keep our pipelines, but remove most (if not all) of the
XML configuration crap.  Just some good solid conventions like rails.

> On a recent open source talk in vienna  a committer from RoR was joking
> about the java frameworks and their tons of configuration and even worse
> "flow" description files. Though the RoR approach goes a bit too far for
> a compiled language like java, I do believe it makes sense to stick to
> the language choosen.

Oh yes, spring flow...

> So, please :-), only one language, and as cocoon (or whatever it's name
> will be :-) ) is a J2EE framework: _Java_

I hear you, and hopefully even more.

> Sorry for the interference :-), regards,
> tom

Please interfere.  Users lurking on dev are more than welcome to contribute
their oppinions.