List:       xinetd
Subject:    Updated devel package
From:       Steve G <linux_4ever () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-24 12:34:10

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my latest
development tarball can be found at:
www.web-insights.net/xinetd-2.3.6rc5.tar.gz.

I have sent several tarballs to Rob and haven't heard
back in a while so I think I need to take this to the
mail list so everyone can help check my devel package.
Note: this is not an official xinetd devel package
since Rob didn't release it.

This is the ChangeLog:
+Updated only_from to 'and' both the remote address
and the specified portion if a network mask type
address is used.
+Updated explicit_mask to chose NUMERIC_ADDR if mask
is 32.
+Many parser updates.
+Propogate default attributes even if not specified.
log_on_success, log_on_failure, passenv were the main
items affected by this problem. only_from and
no_access now conform to this new propogation
technique.
+Xremove now uses domain names in addition to ip
addresses.
+Moved sensor code into its own file and changed it to
use timer facility.
+Reworked remote_addr check & addrlist_match to not
cache IP addresses and corrected several algorithmic
problems.
+Off-by-one error corrected in pset_delete. This
caused core dumps.
+Updated attrfill to use IPv4 addresses if bind
specified.

Odds are that this package will become the 2.3.6
release. As you can see above, there are many fixups.
Some are security related, some would cause core
dumps,
and some are just to make the program work per the
documentation. For example, the 2.3.5 version will
accept .127.0.0.1 as a valid address. (Notice the dot
in front of the 127.) This package correctly
identifies this as a malformed address. The above
could be a big problem if you made this typo in an
only_from or no_access statement.

Please check this package out since there are some
behavior changes, too. Now if an invalid option or
parse error occurs in the default section, it
terminates the server. Since default items get
propogated to all servers, what else can you safely do
if there's an error? Please send feedback to the mail
list.

Cheers,
Steve Grubb