List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Bug in XShm video output driver or MPEG-2 video decoder
From:       Ewald Snel <ewald () rambo ! its ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2003-03-08 9:39:49

Hi Miguel,

[...]

> > Should I apply this patch to libmpeg2? And is there a reason why libmpeg2
> > has not been updated to version 0.3.1? The newer version of libmpeg2
> > might fix some (other) problems.
>
> did you got this patch from latest libmpeg2 version?

No, but there are other fixes in libmpeg2 in version 0.3.1. I have applied the
patch to xine CVS, which should not cause any other side-effects but a slight
performance hit (more L1/L2 cache is used).

[...]

> about updating libmpeg2 to version 0.3.1 i have reflected for some time
> on that issue and i think it is better not. of course we should always
> try to not "fork" external projects, but in the libmpeg2/xine case you
> can see how long did it took to reach the stability point we have now.
>
> we have modified decode.c in many ways (i know that new version is
> supposed to not require this kind of change) like supporting menu
> flushing, closed caption and our frame management scheme.
>
> so in this case i really vote for keeping the working code. from time to
> time we backport some fixes/improvements from cvs version (i did it
> recently for the motion vector clipping), that's no big deal i think.

Thanks for your explanation. There are some MPEG-2 streams not working
properly. I was hoping that merging libmpeg2 version 0.3.1 with xine would
fix those streams.

> regards,
>
> Miguel

Thanks.