List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] VCD plugin status
From:       "R. Bernstein" <rocky () panix ! com>
Date:       2003-03-08 4:37:07

This is just to give people some general status as to the experimental
Video CD plugin (VCDX).

Recently a small milestone was made so that the majority of Michael
Tam's VCD 2.0 demo now plays according to the navigatation it has in
there. Since it has a fair bit of stuff, this is pretty
significant. There are still some small missing features, and no doubt
misunderstanings on my part of semantics and no doubt even some bugs.
Probably I'll have another release of the code after the beta7
xine-lib release (which was supposed to happen by now, right?)

Also, I recently committed two small changes by Julio Sanchez's to
recognize Philips Overlay Graphics Text (OGT) and CVD subtitle streams
(created by I-Author). This is just a small fraction of the code that
he sent to the xine-devel a while ago.  The actual subtitle rendering
plugins are undergoing a major metamorphosis and as per Juilo's
instructions they'll be added later.

Here's the bigger plan for the VCDX plugin as I see it.  Right now the
VCDX plugin still doesn't have FreeBSD code in it. Release 0.7.14 of
VCDImager is imminent. 0.7.14 has more of the code that is currently
in the VCDX plugin, but still not enough that a player could use just
this for CD Reading. After the VCDImager 0.7.14 release the CD Reading
and control routines will be broken out as a separate library. That's
when I expect the FreeBSD (and code for a host of other Unix boxes
will be added). Most likely the VCDImager 0.7.15 release will use this
new library and at that point the forked VCDImager code that is this
plugin can be removed. YAY!