List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] Dual Screen not working, help?
From:       Tamas Hauer <tamas.hauer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-28 22:58:20

Hi,

I have played some more with various tweaks and still no success :-(.

BUT, I verified that my X configuration is probably OK.  Driving my
primary (AGP) card with "r128" (the same as "ati" as far as I can
tell) and driving the secondary with "vga" starts X dual head
properly.  Unfortunately I get the default 320x200 resolution on the
vga only.

Thus this must be a driver issue.  I have tried with "ati" and "vesa"
which gets me "somewhere" with the right constellation of stars.  For
example it does matter, which screen comes first in the layout
section.  If the ati one comes first, there is no signal on the second
screen.  If the vesa one comes first then both screens come up but the
second one is garbled and unresponsive.

Thus I can see a few ways of progressing:
1. this thing just won't work no matter what I do (most likely :-( )
2. replace "vga" with something better resolution which is viewable
3. I noticed dependency on the acpi settings and although I think I
have exhausted all variations, if I get a clue I can look into this
again.

Thus I am stuck in a major way.  Thanks for all the help so far and of
course any further clues are appreciated.

Tamas