List:       xfree86
Subject:    Re: [XFree86] error in xinerama mode ?
From:       Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi () XFree86 ! Org>
Date:       2004-08-28 20:19:29

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, kiwi wrote:

> i have the same problem with more than one pc,
> from my 4 pc's with with xinerama is on one pc all ok in xinerama mode.
> on all other, i have the same problem,
> the application "eagle" or "mozilla" hangs after scrolling,
> and in one of 20 hangs of software crash , hangs the xserver or the window
> manager.
>
> yes, i habe the same problem, without any window manager.
>
> when i say in my xfree86config
> Option          "Xinerama"      "false"
> working all software without any hangs on all screens.
>

> can you test the eagle software with you xserver ?
> the eagle software is an electronic circuits drawing programm from cardsoft
> http://www.cadsoft.de
> you can download the software from:
> ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/program/4.11/eagle-4.11g.tgz or as rpm :
> ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/pub/program/4.11/eagle-4.11g-1.i386.rpm
> and after start:
> open: Projects --> examples --> hexapod --> hexapod.prd --> EAGLE HANGS! -->
> killall eagle

   This works fine for me.  I get a circuit diagram and I can move the
window around and resize it without any problem.  This is running with
two NVIDIA GeForce4 MX cards (one AGP and one PCI) in Xinerama.  Both
are in 1600x1200 making a 3200x1200 desktop.  I tried this with both
NVIDIA's binary driver and the "nv" driver that comes with XFree86 4.4.

   I suspect an mga driver bug or some other obscure problem.  Here are
some things you can try:

1)  Don't load the "dri" or "glx" modules in the XF86Config.  This
    would rule out a dri problem.

2)  Try Option "NoAccel" for all cards.  This would rule out a driver
    acceleration problem.

3)  Don't load the "freetype" module.  This would rule out a font renderer
    problem.

4)  I notice the driver didn't autodetect the amount of VideoRam on
    the cards and defaulted to only 4 kBytes.  You specify the correct
    amount in the device section (you should do this in any case since
    it will help performance).  See man XF86Config, section on "VideoRam".

5)  Try using a smaller resolution like 800x600 or 640x480 on each
    screen.  It may be that the app has some internal assumptions about
    the maximum desktop size and is broken in this respect.  Likewise
    you can see if just using two of the screens works, for example
    just:

  Screen          "Screen 00"
  # Screen          "Screen 01"     LeftOf  "Screen 00"
  Screen          "Screen 02"     RightOf "Screen 00"

			Mark.