List:       xfree-render
Subject:    Re: [Render] Transparency
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2001-03-21 18:53:30

Around 7 o'clock on Mar 21, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Keith did the transparent window implementation as a complete hack: it
> rendered a pop-up window transparent if override-redirect was set.
>
> And the implementation required large amounts of memory, roughly always
> doubling memory usage (ugh).

Actually, it took *much* more than twice.  Every window had two full-sized
off-screen buffers, even windows completely occluded by their subwindows,
all of those subwindows also had two full-sized buffers.

A total hack, and I'd rather not see any of that code escape into the wild.
I've been bitten in the past by releasing horrible code and seeing it come
back years later...

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.