List:       xchat-discuss
Subject:    feature request.
From:       Troy Bell <troy () troysplace ! net>
Date:       2001-05-18 22:45:54

Greetings,

I'd just like to start off by saying that XChat is really neat, and my
regards go out to it's developers. I don't think there is a better GUI
irc client out there (I think irssi is dead nowdays...), but
obviously, you need users to make suggestions so they are happy, so
here goes:

I would like to see support for your own set of "On-Connect" commands
to be sent to the server after you've connected, in the form of maybe
a list-type box in each server's properties section in the server
window (with corresponding buttons to add/edit/delete of course).

I had tried to bodge my own one up but came to the conclusion that
it's best if you guys do it and do it right. Heh I had just done it
hard-coded into the source :P~.

Probably appearing in inbound.c (inside the case statement (case 422
to be exact, line 1501) I added my own:

send_onconnect_cmds (serv, outbuf);

That was before auto-join of channels (so you can identify to
nickserv and so forth) and after the default modes have been set.

It would have to be another 'element' in the server list box, so
obviously someone would have to write all the code to:

a) present the gui (listbox, buttons, etc) (more altering the current
   server config box)
b) pull the config options along with all the other options when the
   window is opened
c) perform the on-connect stuff (if it is set)

I've had a look at the config file:

servername = irc.linux.org.au
port = 6667
flags = 0
channel = #Idleland,#LinuxAUS
password =
nick =
comment = irc.linux.org.au

Something could be added such as:

onconnect = command one here,command two here,command three here

... if that is possible of course, depending on what people want to do
when they connect, i'm assuming there are xchat handlers to do it from
anywhere (eg. you mightn't be able to do something like that just with
a comma separated list for configuring it).

Please feel free to discuss my suggestion, I can take critisism :P And
if anyone does get around to coding it, I can test it (and document
it if you like) if you can send me diffs.

(i'd code it myself, but it'd take weeks and believe me, you wouldn't
want to see the code :P~~ - although, if you didn't have time, and
could code the gui part, I could probably do the rest...)

Kind regards,

--
Troy Bell               troy@troysplace.net        /~\
Systems Administrator   http://troysplace.net/     \ /