List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    Configure changes and testing...
From:       kent () wu-ftpd ! org
Date:       2003-05-27 21:29:17

The wu-ftpd developers are looking for some help.

We are trying to phase out the old 'build' method of compiling
wu-ftpd. We are working toward a new release and are in need of
help test building wu-ftpd on various platforms. We do not have
all the hardware we need to do a compete job of testing 'configure'.

We want to make sure that configure works as it should on most of
the systems that are currently supported with the original build
method.  Currently, 'build' supports the following...

  aix    : IBM AIX
  aux    : AU/X
  bdi    : BSD/OS
  bsd    : BSD
  dec    : DEC Unix 3.X
  du4    : DEC Unix 4.X or later
  dyn    : Dynix
  fbs    : FreeBSD 2.0 or later
  him    : Hitachi SR2201 and S-3600 Unix (HI-UX/MPP and HI-OSF/1-MJ)
  hiu    : Hitachi 3050 Unix (HI-UX/WE2)
  hpx    : HP-UX
  lnx    : Linux (tested on 1.2.X and 2.0.0)
  nbs    : NetBSD 1.X
  nx2    : NeXTstep 2.x
  nx3    : NeXTstep 3.x
  osf    : OSF/1
  osx    : Mac OS X
  ptx    : ???
  sco    : SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 / SCO OpenServer 5
  sgi    : SGI Irix 5.3
  ir4    : SGI Irix 4.0.5a
  sny    : Sony NewsOS
  sol    : SunOS 5.x / Solaris 2.x
  s41    : SunOS 4.1.x
  ult    : Ultrix 4.x
  uxw    : UnixWare 1.1 or later

We know there are issues to be dealt with on various platforms.
For example someone wrote recently...

# As I recall, the particular HP-UX specific issues that configure doesn't
# address are the differences between HP-UX ANSI C and gcc, and setting
# the right symbol for HP shadow passwords.
#
# These both will cause failures that are hard to fix manually. Not
# setting the symbol for shadow passwords means that everything may seem
# to build right, but all non-anonymous logins fail.
#
# As far as I know, similar issues affect HP-UX 11 shadow
# passwords, going forward, but I can't confirm that directly.
#
# Are there any folk who can test builds on HP-UX?

If you can help with this specific platform or one of the other platforms,
please contact me.  If you are a vendor, we would be happy to work with
you to make sure wu-ftpd works properly on your platform.

We would really like  to assure 'configure' works properly on all the
above systems.  If any of you have autoconf or configure experience and
you have access to one of the listed platforms, please consider helping
us out.  To date I have Solaris, Redhat and FreeBSD covered locally.

Thanks.

--
Kent Landfield           |  WU-FTPD: http://www.wu-ftpd.org/
Phone: 1-817-545-2502    |  RESOURCE CENTER: http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd