List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    Time Out Problems
From:       Mark Penkower <mark () roycenet ! com>
Date:       2003-05-14 20:23:52

Hi,

A few days ago - I wrote:

Hi,

For all issues, I am referring to wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on Caldera Open
Linux.  Some instances on 3.1, others on 2.4.

I don't know my problems are related to wu-ftpd, or some network
issue.  Here is the problem:

Within the same network session, ftp sessions (either via Linux or Dos
command lines, or through a GUI Interface) are very slow.  Through command
line, when I type ftp 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, the screen that says connected to
192.xxx.xxx.xxx appears immediately.  The problem is that the banner
welcome page and user prompt can take as long as 30 seconds to appear!

We have a good 10/100 ethernet network, and don't have any other slowness
or time out issues.  What is wrong?  Is there some global network parameter
that I can change, or is there some setting within wu-ftpd that can fix this?

Also, Now I have a Linux box in a remote location that we can see through a
VPN.  I can't ftp to it at all.  After the connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx box
appears, the screen does nothing for 60 seconds.  I never get the banner
welcome page, and after 60 seconds, I get the message - connection closed
by remote host.  What is different between the connection that establishes
immediately that says - connected to xxx.xxx.xxx, and the next connection
that brings up the banner welcome page and user prompt?  I need to be able
to ftp to this remote machine.  If there is a network problem, and it is
undiagnosed, can I set wu-ftpd to not time out after 60 seconds waiting for
the banner welcome page and user prompt.  Is there a configuration file to
accomplish this.

I figured it out. I just needed to recompile with a parameter. ./configure
--disable-dns.

Thanks

Mark Penkower