List:       wu-ftpd
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: UID and GID]
From:       Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg+wuftpd () vr ! net>
Date:       1999-01-26 2:49:08

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Omar Keblawi wrote:

> Yes.  It looks correct.  That's why I think something else is wrong.
>
> nrcatest:x:401:401:NRCA TEST:/ftphome/nrcatest/./files:/bin/ftponly
>
> ftpsrvr% pwd
> /ftphome/nrcatest
>
> ftpsrvr% ls
> bin    dev    etc    files  usr

It is possible that you are missing some libraries needed for 'ls' to
lookup usernames.  It is also possible the problem is with the file
permissions for ~nrcatest/etc, ~nrcatest/etc/passwd or
~nrcatest/etc/group.

I have an example layout at ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/ which
shows permissions.  This layout presumes all executables are statically
linked and no special devices or other files are needed; it works on Linux
as shown, other systems may need additional glue .. check the FAQ for your
system.

--

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              lundberg+wuftpd@vr.net