List:       workstations
Subject:    [WORKSTATIONS] Indy + tape = no go
From:       Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ () NSWC ! NAVY ! MIL
Date:       2000-07-24 19:27:07

Hi!

	I've seen this type of thing before, once or twice.
	In my case, it turned out that the system was being
	very picky as to the scsi cable/termination used on
	the external drive.  Try using a different (shorter,
	if possible) cable, and an active terminator. You might
	want to check to see if the tape drive has built-in
	termination, and if so, turn it off and use an
	external active terminator.

	Also,	make certain that the external drive is _not_
	configured for SCSI ID 0 (Which SGI reserves for
	it's controller ID)

	I'd also try changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive.
	In case it's conflicting with the CDROM, etc.

-al-
-acorda@geocities.com

I go about
> diagnosing this?  And how do I read the output of hinv to  find what SCSI
ID