List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Windows NT VDD
From:       admiral Coeyman <admiral () corner ! net>
Date:       2000-06-30 5:01:57

Petr Tomasek,

> >       It's a bit easier than that since drives A and B will be the floppies and all
> >others will be something else.  Older systems did have up to 4 floppies, but
> >those are so rare that I doubt we need to emmulate that configuration.
> >Whatever's set to drive A and B (when present) will be the floppies.  It gets a
> >bit harder when we have to read type, but I think that could be done.
>
> Hey! That's not that good of an idea(TM)! I think we should have
> the freedom to configure these things by hand!

	If we're going that far, we may as well configure all the pertinent
factors and just return those, or a dummy set for drives with no settings.
Drives with no settings would return parameters which would block functions
of INT 0x13, such as claiming all undefined drives are CD-ROMs.

> You may have to emulate e.g. third disk for an application,
> that can be run from disk only.

	Then you can configure it in your wine.conf by setting the new drive's
letter.  If it needs a floppy, there's no need for it to be a real floppy.
Just set it as [Drive B] and you have the virtual floppy.  Create a
loopback mounted (read-only) image of a cd and when you mount that, INT
0x13 would say it's a CD because it's read-only.
	I'm just throwing out ideas.  Configurability is good, however, not all of
wine's users will be kernel hackers.  Some of them will need simpler setups
and that's why I'm trying to get INT 0x13 automated like this.
	-Robert 'Admiral' Coeyman

--
http://www.corner.net/admiral/
May you live as long as you wish and age but a single day.