List:       wine-devel
Subject:    Extending the -debug option for libwine apps
From:       Albert den Haan <uz87ogw3 () umail ! furryterror ! org>
Date:       1999-05-31 18:39:42

As most of you know Corel is compiling lots of stuff against libwine so
that we end up with "native"[1] Linux apps.  Success is happening but we
are now reaching the harder stuff.

Now we want to be able to attach a debugger-of-choice to the
application's thread.  I have looked a bit at the current process/thread
structure and think I see what would work for us.

The current -debug option is recognized but unused by winelib apps. What
I propose to do is add some code dependent on the presence of the -debug
option to print the process id and a call to kill(SIGSTOP) to the start
of the application process (thread?).  This will allow gdb users to
attach to that process (thread?) and debug on their merry way.

UNLESS:

* The application thread does not provide enough context for gdb

* I reorganize which process does what so that we can easily debug the
application. [2]

* someone else comes up with a recipie for debugging winelib apps.

	Albert.
----
[1] NOTE: "native" DLLs are a different beast (thanks for the confusion
whomever!)
[2] I do not like this option. Some smart people changed wine to work
this way and second-guessing them now seems dangerous:)

--
Albert den Haan @ Linux Port Team . Corel Corporation
albertd@corel.ca