List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Why an attribution requirement?
From:       Jimmy Wales <jwales () bomis ! com>
Date:       2001-10-25 18:09:31

Simon Kissane wrote:
> But if all I want to do is put some
> articles on a website, that isn't crawling with
> tables, why can't I simply but up something at the end
> saying, e.g., "This page was originally based on an
> article from Wikipedia
> (http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Mathematics)".

I think you are 100% correct about this.  We should change the "how to
use the FDL with Wikipedia instructions to more accurately reflect
this".

Basically, what we want to do is give people some guidance on how to
print the invariant sections.  We prefer the table, because it looks
nice.  But the link you suggest would certainly be fine with me as
well.  And of course in print media, CD-ROM media, and the like, the
attribution requirement should be sensibly adjusted.