List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] GNU FDL & HTML Table Requirement
From:       Jimmy Wales <jwales () bomis ! com>
Date:       2001-10-25 18:07:03

Simon Kissane wrote:
> Okay, even if they aren't identical, I can still put
> them on a separate page from the article, so long as
> they form 'one document'. So if I put all of Wikipedia
> on my own website, I could add a page called
> 'Invariant Sections', put every linkback table on that
> page, and not put them on the individual article pages
> -- so long as the 'Invariant Sections' page and the
> article pages were linked into one document -- say by
> linking to them all from a 'Table of Contents' page.
> Then I would be complying with the FDL, but still
> evading your requirement to have the link back table
> on every page.

Maybe!  I'm not sure that a person could reasonably make the claim
that posting the article on one page, and the invariant section on a
separate page could meet the requirements of the license.

If anyone attempted to do that, we'd have to try to convince them
otherwise, I suppose.  It would seem kind of silly to me, but
basically I have no intention of being inflexible if it comes down to
that.