List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Category translation
From:       Delirium <delirium () hackish ! org>
Date:       2006-06-08 14:49:00

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Viewed
> separately the Wikipedias in different languages are bound to arrive at
> different NPOVs that are each strongly rooted in distinct cultural
> values.  A language with a small concentrated geographical territory is
> more likely to achieve a satisfactory NPOV, without the complicated
> arguments  that may be encountered with a widely dispersed language like
> English.  This broad range of neutralities helps keep things dynami

I'd say the opposite, unless we redefine "neutral" in some relativistic
way.  IMO, it is far more likely that the English article, due to having
participants from multiple viewpoints, will be neutral on any given
topic than that in a language without a very diverse speaker
population.  For example, which do you think is more likely to cover the
Bosnian war neutrally: the English-language Wikipedia, or the
Serbian-language Wikipedia?  The English Wikipedia has Serbs, Bosniaks,
Croats, and many neutral people; the Serb Wikipedia does not benefit
from nearly the same diverse population.

-Mark