List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Libel chill
From:       Ray Saintonge <saintonge () telus ! net>
Date:       2006-04-23 8:27:01

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>If the recent dispute had been guided by these principles it might not
>>have become as heated.  When a long-standing editor asks for an
>>explanation, and is told to ask the lawyers we aren't reading the same
>>page anymore.  It is quite understandable that people will react with a
>>"Them's fightin' words" attitude.
>>

>I disagree quite significantly.  If a longstanding editor asks for an
>explanation, and is told to ask the lawyers, I absolutely do NOT think
>that it is understandable AT ALL that "them's fightin' words" is the
>attitude in response.  That is just silly.  We've been working together
>for a long time now.

How you say things makes all the difference.  A dismissive attitude can
very easily be seen as hostile.  People react that way when the person
responding does not appear to have assumed good faith.

>I think Erik, in this case, would agree.  If the response had been
>"Actually, Erik, do me a favor and leave this one protected, I can't
>explain why at the moment, but please ask Brad if you need more
>information, perhaps he can give it" then there would have been no
>explosion.

Yes, that's my point.  Words like "do me a favor" and "please" can go a
long way.

>>The person wielding the WP:OFFICE
>>cudgel needs to be sensitive to the community as well as the
>>complainant.  He needs to know from experience that any hint of secrecy
>>underlying his actions will raise the temperature of flames by several
>>degrees.
>>

>No, actually, I think the community understands that temporarily not all
>information can always be made immediately public.

Nobody's even saying that it has to be ALL information.  A general
explanation like, "The subject of this article has complained about it;
it has been temporarily taken offline while we verify the facts."  This
doesn't even mention the specific points that were complained about.

>What got things wound up in this case was not the secrecy, but a wildly
>disproportionate and unfair blocking and desysopping, when a
>reprotection with a note of "Please ask me before unprotecting this one,
>there are important issues here" would have done the job just fine.

Probably, but that's the sort of sensitivity I'm talking about.  The
perception of secrecy can have a greater effect than the secrecy itself.

Ray