List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Wikimania
From:       Erik Moeller <erik_moeller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-08-10 23:35:45

Anthere:
> After less than 10 images being uploaded, 2 were already listed for
> deletion. These two images were from Ross Mayfield, who put them under
> cc, but for non commercial use only. I asked in case to Ross if they
> could be under commercial use as well or if he would agree to put some
> of the pictures in an agreeable license. Isaac Mao also put all his
> pictures under regular copyright, so they are not usable.

Wow. This is amazing. I think the Commons community is doing a wonderful
job making sure that all images uploaded there are free content. I'm
truly impressed by their fast reaction in this case.

Of course, we have the general problem in the Wikimedia projects that
our deletion notices are not very friendly and welcoming. Perhaps we
could work on a "License change" template that could be used in cases
where we suspect that the uploader may be willing to change the license,
and only replace that with the Deletion template if they do not agree.

I do think Wikimedia community images are sufficiently relevant to
justify uploading to the Commons, though if someone doesn't want their
mugshot to be there, they should have the right to request a photo to be
removed, since as Delphine said, there's no demonstrable information
value beyond community interests.

Erik