List:       wget
Subject:    suggestion
From:       Luis Yanes <melus0 () teleline ! es>
Date:       2001-07-11 0:24:09

Dear team. First let me thank you for a so great utility.

After retrieving huge iso files with wget 1.53 and finding them
unusable due to checksum failure, though about a possible enhancement
for wget.

I think that the most probably transmission errors will ocurr just
before a disconect event, giving the last few bytes the greatest
chance to become corrupt, even using TCP. Althought haven't any
meassurement of this affirmation.

Reviewing the wget docs, haven't found anything related to this.
When using the -c, --continue options for http or ftp, requesting for
a few overlapping bytes could solve this potential problem. A default
overlap of 256 bytes to 1K would have an insigficant impact on data
throughput and may avoid a huge trashed file.

Allow me suggest the following syntax:

--overlap         overlap (default bytes) while continuing a download
--overlap=BYTES   overlap BYTES while continuing a broken download

--ignore-overlap  If overlap segment differ use new/old. Well we are in
trouble. This would need more discussion.

I haven't any experience with gnu software developping, but if you don't
find this interesting enough to work on it, I could try to make a patch
to the lattest wget code for your review to include in the distribution.

--
73's de Luis

mail: melus0@teleline.es
Ampr: eb7gwl.ampr.org