List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Reformatting-only patches being applied to trunk
From:       Ojan Vafai <ojan () chromium ! org>
Date:       2009-07-25 23:11:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2009, at 3:08 AM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
>
>  I've just noticed that there have been a few purely style related patches
>> being landed in the tree recently, I don't believe these are a good idea and
>> that any further reformatting only patches be rejected.
>>

> I completely disagree.  I see nothing wrong with patches that are purely
> style cleanup.  Someone doesn't have to be doing significant work in an area
> of code to fix bad style in that code.  We've had a problem with bad style
> lingering in some files precisely because the area of code isn't being
> touched much.  It would be great to see those files cleaned up.

One other advantage of getting most or all of the code base to have the
correct style is that we could hook up the new linting tool to an svn/git
precommit hook so that new style errors don't get introduced. We could also
hook it into any create-patch scripts so that patches (new) contributors
upload don't need to be manually vetted by a reviewer for style. Eventually,
when we start work on a code review tool, we could automatically flag any
style violations without reviewer oversight.

Ojan