List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Proposal for a new way to handle porting #ifdefs
From:       Peter Kasting <pkasting () google ! com>
Date:       2009-05-25 6:42:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> Can you cite a particular class as an example?  I don't think we have any
> aversion to using per-port subclasses as long as we aren't incurring a
> vtable cost and as long as that class has no subclasses already.

I don't think you do either, which is part of why I said that I think when
this has come up it's been handled quite well.  I think historically most
things have been done using #ifdefs and that that's been changing as there
have been more (and more disparate) ports, which turn out to require a
variety of methods depending on the circumstances.

Perhaps the only complaint I can think of here is that sometimes the fear of
vtables seems (to me) to border on paranoia -- it doesn't hurt if the class
in question is completely off the critical path.  But I think that's a
pretty minor quibble.

PK