List:       vtcl-user
Subject:    [vtcl-user] vTcl project dialog (the sequel)
From:       Christian_Gavin () logitech ! com
Date:       2003-11-13 21:47:32

Hello,

As some of you may have noticed not much has happened recently on the vTcl
project... other hobbies are taking more of my time.

I would like to find users/developers interested to take over the project,
administer releases and work on the code base and/or recruit other
developers to assist.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email. We urgently need someone
to create an installer for Windows for the 1.6.0 release. Help is also
welcome to complete the current documentation, convert it to HTML format,
create tutorials for all the widgets, and so on.

Future plans that were discussed on the mailing list include making it
easier to add support for new widgets, document the process, separate
IWidgets, BLT and other libraries from the main distribution so that they
can be released separately should ActiveTcl release a new version of some
toolkits. It has happened on several occasions that a new ActiveTcl release
breaks Visual Tcl by modifying the behavior of Incr Widgets or others.
Separating them would give the flexibility of releasing new versions of the
widget libraries without having to do a complete new release.

Another improvement would be to complete support for vTcl megawidgets
(creating them, distributing them, etc) and offer in the standard vTcl
distribution a few of them (for example a database viewer, etc.).

A question is also whether Damon's new project should evolve in parallel
with
vTcl or the direction to go is move toward Gui Builder only, and
development in
vTcl would mostly focus on bug fixes and improvement in documentation. This
doesn't mean vTcl is dead though. In my opinion I would keep code editing
features because they allow developing reusable megawidgets (which are a
mix
of both UI and code). I am not sure code generation for all languages
supporting
Tk is the holy grail... wysiwyg will likely suffer from this.

Either way, if you are interested in pitching in and helping the project,
please let me know. There's plenty of work to do in many areas.

Thanks!
Christian Gavin

|  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> > Greetings,
> >
> > No dialog yet so will assume no one is opposed so far.
> >
> > I am going to be marking many things closed as far as tracker issues
> > go. All submissions predate the release date of the vTcl-1.6.0 release
> > of August 18, 2003. This should allow us to identify issues with the
> > current code base.
>
> I would be remiss if I didn't let you all know that I am currently
> working on an almost total rewrite of vTcl.  I discussed this with
> Christian, and he felt it best that I start a new project as the new
> application will be geared differently than vTcl.
>
> Specifically, I'm removing all of the code-editing features in
> vTcl.  Like the proc editor and things of that nature.  The new program
> will be designed strictly as a GUI designer.
>
> That being said, the new app (tentatively titled Tk Builder) has a
> full plugin architecture that allows it to be easily extended with
> almost anything.  I think the future of vTcl may end up becoming a
> plugin of Tk Builder.
>
> Christian has basically said that he isn't working on vTcl anymore,
> and since I am working on this new project, I am not making any changes
> to vTcl either.  Though, the stuff I'm working on fixes a lot of
> long-standing bugs in vTcl that have pissed me off for some time. 0-]
>
> So, I put it to you guys.  What would you like to see happen?
>
> Damon

I like what you have said working toward a GUI builder. I really want to
just organize the widgets and then open with an editor to do the rest.
This really appeals to me. I would like to see the app first (TK Builder),
but I think we should focus energies for the best tool. Could you provide
a link to examine TK Builer? Again, I can fully agree with the concept and
the idea that vTcl could be a plugin of TK Builder. Many thanks for
speaking up! This sounds very exciting.

Thanks.