List:       vpn
Subject:    Desktop tunneling software
From:       "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo ! osis ! gov>
Date:       1998-10-08 21:48:06

I was wondering (a) what products were out there, and (b) what
experiences folks have had with software that allows people already on
the 'Net to tunnel into a VPN?  We already have a VPN with a mixture of
encapsulated and encapsulated/encrypted tunneling.  We've only been
allowing stand-alone systems to dial in, authenticate at the dial-in
point, and set up a PPP link.  People who want to connect via their
work Internet connection, or via a dedicated ISP, complain.

We're looking for a solution that, of course, will absolutely cut the
machine off from their normal Internet connection while the tunnel is
up, and that will authenticate the user into the network (S/key, CHAP,
or similar).  So far, a couple of IPsec implementations have failed,
and we're looking at Blue Ridge's Net Sentry.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Joe Yao				jsdy@cospo.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao