List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: distribution getting too big
From:       Zdenek Sekera <zs () sgi ! com>
Date:       2000-10-09 6:57:20

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> The source archive is now over 1.4 Mbyte.  It no longer fits on a standard
> floppy disk.  What to do about this?
>
> 1. Ignore it.  People can split the archive and use two floppies.

Probably. But is this an issue at all? Don't people who need ot move
from
machine to machine move only binaries + runtime? (this should still fit
on
a floppy I think). And how much are floppies really used (compared to
other
ways like zip drives, etc...).

Obviosuly those who need to move between machines with different
asrchitectures
and consequently need to move sources cannot reason this way, but they
have
surely devised their own way of working already.

I am not really sure if this a problem.

> 2. Use bzip2 instead of gzip.  The size will go from 1480 Kbyte to 1180 Kbyte.

Yes, but gzip so much more spread out/used/known. I'd stay with gzip for
the distribution.

> 3. Leave out ctags.  Saves about 150 Kbyte.

Why not? It's really a product (now) on its own, not everybody really
needs it
(for many reasons) and those who do need just an URL on many places in
the doc
and they can get it from there.

I think this is not a bad idea, on the other hand it doesn't save all
that much
and vim will catch up with saved space eventually anyway IMHO, so this
is merely
pushing the problem in the future.

However, I think this idea of separating ctags from vim has lots of
merit on
its own.

---Zdenek