List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: distribution getting too big
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2000-10-08 18:11:57

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> 1. Ignore it.  People can split the archive and use two floppies.

That wouldn't be too bad... I don't think many people use floppies these
days... However...

> 2. Use bzip2 instead of gzip.  The size will go from 1480 Kbyte to 1180 Kbyte.

Is there any OS bzip2 doesn't compile/work on? If no, I don't think it's
much of a problem as long as a link to bzip2 and instructions for
compiling/installing it are provided.

> 3. Leave out ctags.  Saves about 150 Kbyte.

I actually like this one... On Linux, it avoids duplicated code (most
linux distributions already include ctags as a separate package), on *BSD,
a requirement in the ports Makefile would suffice.

Also, not everyone who uses vim needs ctags (on boxes where you use vim
only for editing config files), so keeping it separate would save some
space.

LLaP
bero