List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: VIM crashes in one extreme situation
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2005-02-24 17:18:49

Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
> Vince Negri wrote:
>
>>Ok, trying that example I get the
>>"pattern caused out-of-stack error" message, same as
>>Bram.
>>
>>It looks like antoine's build (done with win32 gcc) doesn't
>>support the stack checking.
>

> An optimization bug in gcc's Mingw port perhaps?
>
> I can confirm that my home-brewed native win32 binaries present the same
> crash both vim 6.3.52 and a very recent vim7 snapshot. Therefore there
> is a problem with the Mingw GCC distributed with Cygwin (3.3.3 + extra
> mods), which is what I have. We can rule out a problem with GNU
> binutils, because the Cygwin binaries (that is, linked to the POSIX
> emulation library that uses the newlib C runtime) give an out of bounds
> error as expected, yet were created with the same linker.
>
> Now we need some one who is using Mingw 3.4 out there to confirm if
> he/she has the bug as well.

Does the bug appear identically in vim.exe / gvim.exe on the one hand
(non-debug builds) and in vimd.exe / gvimd.exe on the other hand (debug
builds)? If there is an optimization bug, it is possible that it appears
only in the non-debug builds since IIUC the debug builds are slightly
less speed-optimized, for the sake of traceability.

Best regards,
Tony.