List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: Vim 7 - what's the story, then?
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2005-02-24 16:58:14

Neil Bird wrote:

>   I noticed a couple of months or so ago the refs. to vim 7 turning up
> in the list, but our over-aggressive work spam filter must have binned
> the start of the threads and I didn't have time at the, erm, time to
> look into it further.
>
>   Is there a brief 'sitrep' anywhere?  As in, what's planned, what's in,
> what's TBD?

You could either fetch past messages from the archive by http, or
install vim 7.0aa side-by-side with your current "stable" Vim and start
at ":help version7" in its helpfiles.

Some novelties are:

- Lists (which are more-or-less "arrays of strings")
- Dictionaries (associative lists, where an item is retrieved not by its
location but by its "key" which is a string)
- Support for a fifth interpreted language (MzScheme).

Since you appear to be on an X11 system, you cannot avail yourself of my
compiled builds (which are for W32); but "snapshots" of the source and
runtime files are available in zip form at
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/ -- unzip one of them at
some convenient place and compile it like you would any other Vim.

Best regards,
Tony.