List:       vim-dev
Subject:    RE: [kvim-dev] RE: Vim's future ?
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2002-11-12 13:03:53

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> > Would this problem be avoided if Vim wasn't embedded, but floated free as
> > another top-level window?
>
> Then vim is not embedded, and it doesn't make sense to have a component. You
> do not need components to have a vim editor running separately from
> KDEvelop.

It looks like we have a different view on what you call "integrated".
In my view the essential thing is that the editor and the other tools
communicate.  For example, the debugger tells the editor where
breakpoints are and the current PC position, so that the editor can
display glyphs at the right lines.  The editor offers the user the
possibility to place or delete breakpoints, this is reported to the
debugger.

The other part of integration is sharing a toplevel window, with menus
and toolbar.

Although the full integration would require both to work, many users
will be quite pleased if they just get the first part.  The Sun Workshop
interface does it this way and it works quite well.

Just having an editor run as part of another toplevel window, without
any communication about what is being edited, sounds pointless to me.

--
The Feynman problem solving Algorithm:
	1) Write down the problem

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\