List:       vim-dev
Subject:    Re: Vim's future ?
From:       Brian Skahan <bskahan () etria ! com>
Date:       2002-11-05 20:12:22

* Jeremy Brand, B.S. <jeremy@nirvani.net> [021105 14:14]:
> prefers not having the integration that you speak of.  So, to your point
> that there are people that want this integration, thare are also plenty of
> people that do not want it.

This is somewhat besides the point, assuming that everyone *wants* vim
to not lose any functionality in *any* form, and I believe everyone is
working from that standpoint.

I don't care that vim has a perl interpreter, I don't write perl, I
haven't found any perl extensions that look appealing.  But that does
not mean I don't want vim to have it.  I just don't want *my* vim to
have it.  I also don't use KDE (though I might if it had nice vim
integration ;)) but that certainly doesn't mean I don't want vim to work
well with it.

Why would people not want this, from a purely ideal point of view?
Assuming that it didn't change the way vim functioned outside of KDE,
which, as has been pointed out, may not be possible, and is certainly
not trivial, but that is a different story than not wanting vim to be
modularized and integrated easily.

--
 /|Brian Skahan | Towson  University | bskahan@etria.com|\
/ |                Baltimore, MD US                     | \