List:       vim
Subject:    Re: ruby embedding and here documents
From:       Bram Moolenaar <Bram () moolenaar ! net>
Date:       2002-12-29 21:39:32

Emmanuel Touzery wrote:

> In general i have no problems embedding ruby code in vim macros using
> here documents, eg
> function A()
> ruby << EOF
> # ruby code
> EOF
> endfunction
>
> however vim does not seem to support that then the ruby code itself uses here
> documents..
> eg try to source this:
> ---------8<----------------
> function! Test()
> ruby << EOF
> a << TT
> TT
> EOF
> endfunction
> ---------------------------------
>
> you will get a E126: Missing :endfunction. if you remove the inner a<<TT\nTT,
> the problem disappears.

The problem is that the "a << TT" is recognized as an ":append" command.
Vim then searches for a line containing just a dot.

There is no special case for handling the "ruby << EOF" command inside a
function.  I'll add a remark in the todo list that the lines until "EOF"
are to be consumed.

209. Your house stinks because you haven't cleaned it in a week.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org          \\\
\\\           Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org           ///