List:       vim
Subject:    Re: carriage return
From:       "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck () belgacom ! net>
Date:       2002-12-11 21:36:32

Just before saving the file, you may want to set 'fileformat' to either
"dos", "unix", or "mac" (without the quotes) depending on where the file
will be ported to next. (For instance, in Windows, WordPad will not choke on
unix-type ends-of-lines, but Notepad will.) Dos-type ends-of-lines should
break lines on all systems (since a "dos" EOL consists of a "mac" EOL
followed by a "unix" EOL), but (I don't know) some programs might show
garbage characters at the beginning or end of the lines.

    see :help 'ff'

Tony.