List:       viavoice
Subject:    [viavoice] Re: Java Speech API under Linux.
From:       "Eric Hansen" <ehansen () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-03-14 22:13:05

Yes, speech recognition should work with the Dictation runtime
for Linux and the Speech for Java SDK. I would assume that it
works with the JDK that ViaVoice requires, although I don't know
for sure. If it doesn't work you should post that question to the
Speech for Java discussion forum at
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/speech.

I'm sorry but it is against IBM policy to discuss if/when products
will be available, so I cannot speak to when TTS for Linux is
supported with JSAPI.

Regards, Eric

Doug Sutherland <doug@los-gatos.net> wrote on 3/14/2001:

> Eric,
>
> > Yes, that is correct. ViaVoice TTS using JSAPI
> > is not yet supported on Linux.
>
> I just loaded the ViaVoice dictation and TTS engines
> onto a 1GB IBM microdrive on a 4x6 inch embedded
> computer running slackware. It works great! I am very
> impressed. I do all of my software in Java (I'm an
> ex-JavaSoft guy). Does the dictation runtime work with
> JSAPI right now? The IBM web site is very confusing on
> this, at first glance it appears to be only supported
> on windows, and the file is an self extracting EXE (?)
> yet on other parts of the IBM web site it says Java Speech
> works for linux. Will it work with Blackdown JDK 1.2.2
> RC4 with the dictation runtime (hope so, cause that's what
> ViaVoice requires). Also, when do you expect TTS to be
> supported in JSAPI?
>

> I need JSAPI TTS to do that trick! Please tell me its
> on the horizon.
>
> -- Doug (no longer affiliated with Sun but loving Java and ViaVoice)

---
For information about the IBM ViaVoice SDKs and Run Time Kits for Linux visit: \
http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/sdk_linux.html To view the archive of \
submissions visit: http://viavoice.sparklist.com  To view the Frequently Asked \
Questions visit: http://www.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/faq_linux.html To remove your \
subscription to this list, simply send a note to: \
remove-viavoice@laser.sparklist.com. If you are experiencing any problems using the \
list, please send a note to viavoice-owner@laser.sparklist.com.